Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Walkabout

I've been in a state of hibernation this winter, never a very good mode for the process of good photography. The flu took me down for a couple of weeks, keeping me indoors even if i did want to risk my fingertips to explore the effects of the polar vortex on the lives of the local flora and fauna. And winter this year has put on a show worthy of documenting if i could just get myself out the door to shoot any of it. So i did finally force myself to get out for a bit of a walkabout yesterday, though none of the signs of our recent weather fronts were in evidence.
(You can click on any image for a larger gallery view)

©David Sorcher 2014

Through the gray of winter i think all of our eyes seek color to find some relief from the short, cold days and long, colder nights. I must admit that i was a bit unsure of myself creating this positive/negative diptych. It's a bit more contrived than my usual approach and i generally try to avoid gimmickry in my work. But when i accidentally hit the invert control while working on this image i just fell for the warmth of that orange sky. Right now my psyche needs all the warming up it can get. 

©David Sorcher 2014

Though the brilliant blue sky made this one of the cheerier afternoons we have experienced this winter my eye is still pulled to bright colors like the ones on this three-wheeled scooter.

©David Sorcher 2014

Standing guard over his domain, this pit bull strikes a strong pose for my camera. He would remain perfectly still when the camera was to my eye, but became instantly loud and animated as soon as it dropped away. 

©David Sorcher 2014

Woody Sander Body Shop along Spring Grove Ave. has been vacant for quite some time and i often wonder what kind of use this space could be put to. For now it made for a striking contrast against the deep blue sky. 

©David Sorcher 2014

I set my compass for this walk specifically to bring me past this point above. Until recently there was a huge 12-foot high monster truck tire that stood just to the left of the frame, an advertisement for the tire sales and repair done within. I would make note of it whenever i passed by and this was my day to finally use it in a photograph…or not. This is a lesson i seem to constantly need to re-learn. When something attracts your interest, don't wait. If you have your camera handy (i still need a small everyday camera), stop and shoot it. If not, go back the next day. Time waits for no one. My tire had apparently rolled away. 

©David Sorcher 2014

©David Sorcher 2014

©David Sorcher 2014

I've been documenting my neighborhood of Northside for some time now, and a lot of it has been focussed on what i might call shooting around the edges. This is a lively, active, alternative culture community, but most of my images seemed to find the quiet and forgotten places and be more concerned with urban landscape and architecture than people. You can see more of this project HERE.

©David Sorcher 2014

Tattered and faded, i wondered how much prayer was actually left in these flags to be spread by the winds.

©David Sorcher 2014

I love exploring the alleys of Northside, the backdoors and garages that aren't presented for regular public viewing.  

©David Sorcher 2014

A backlit door window and porch provide some architectural interest.

©David Sorcher 2014

Ornamental grasses that have been pressed flat by cold and snow are revealed by the temporary thaw. 

©David Sorcher 2014

It seemed amazing to me that after all the bitter cold, snow and wind of this season that these leaves and petals still clung so loyally to their stems. Groundhog day has passed and apparently Punxsutawney Phil has seen his shadow, forecasting six more weeks of winter, so perhaps my chances to photograph some really brutal snow and ice are not gone for the season. Still, i'm not sure i would complain if spring was sprung a wee bit early this year giving me one less excuse for any continued hibernation. I really need to get out more. :-)









No comments:

Post a Comment