Wednesday, October 2, 2013

This Too Shall Pass

Bird; Death; Autumn; Purple Finch
©David Sorcher 2013

Autumn is upon us. The wheel of the seasons moves steadily forward. The leaves explode in brilliant colors of golden yellows, oranges and reds, only to lose their battle with gravity and fall fluttering to the cooling earth below. Slowly our world begins to die. Or so it would seem. We have all lived long enough to know this as nature's last blaze of glory before the long cold sleep of winter, but that spring will certainly not be too far off, bringing with it renewal and rebirth. I love this time of year and all the bittersweet beauty it holds. 
Certainly if you have been following my work at all you know i have a bit of an obsession with this kind of subject. This purple finch (yes, i know, it looks red) came from a student of my good friend Josh who brought this "gift" to him especially for me after i gave a presentation in his class. Well, it is my birthday today so it does seem appropriate. :-)

Moth; Autumn; Leaves
©David Sorcher 2013

This moth was another gift from the 11-year-old daughter of another good friend and neighbor. Well, it's on loan at least. Apparently she has a little collection of such things as this and cicada shells and the like and expects it back. A girl after my own heart. Fall is a time for exploring analogous color relationships and the certain sense of serenity that they suggest. 

Bird; Death; Autumn; Purple Finch
©David Sorcher 2013

Lastly a close-up of the finch. I'm not sure i'm done with this bird yet. I started shooting too late in the day and was a bit frustrated as i tried somewhat in vain to chase the quickly failing light of day for my shots. I'm not convinced i actually got the results i was looking for, but these shots were at least on track and i hope worthy of showing. 
   


No comments:

Post a Comment