Tuesday, November 12, 2013

A Walk in the Woods

Woods; Stump; Autumn; Leaves; Seasons
©David Sorcher 2013

Honestly, i don't know what i am doing anymore. It seems everyday another newspaper is laying off it's photographic staff. My teaching gig dried up two terms ago due to low enrollment (who can blame them for looking for other career options) and i don't know when or even if i will teach again. My freelance gigs are steady for now, but the market is lean and growing slimmer and i find myself questioning whether i can still find enough work in journalism to even get by. Trouble is i'm not sure if there is much else i really want to do with my life, let alone can do. 

Woods; Autumn; Leaves; Seasons
©David Sorcher 2013

So lately i find myself with all this extra time on my hands and one would think, great, i can apply myself to all kinds of creative, personal projects, things i've never had time to do before. Instead i find myself frozen, blocked, stifled and suffocating. Some days i can't even seem to get out of the house. I have to force myself just to take a walk in the woods. And when i get there i find myself at a loss to understand what i am looking for, what i am shooting, what my creative vision is. 

Woods; Autumn; Leaves; Seasons; Crab Apples
©David Sorcher 2013

And so i present these to photographic offerings to you today, not because i am so awfully proud of the work, but because it is just what has come out of me recently. I guess we simply need to keep working through the doldrums praying that some creative wind will soon fill our sails and send us on our way. Hopefully something will break soon. But for now i'm afraid it's just a walk in the woods.   





2 comments:

  1. I am grateful that I had you as a teacher at Antonelli College. I am lucky to have taken the courses that they offered before they shorten and cut some of the classes. When I see you photos I still get inspired. I know that they don't advertise as much as they did before I started to go there. I had to take a double look at the top photo I didnt know what it was, cool shot !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words Bill. I guess i am just feeling the weight of these "dark ages" we seem to be entering in our industry. Most days i am rather upbeat about it and i do still believe there are brighter days to come. It just gets me down watching one news organization after another eliminating their photo staffs and having to deal with cheap clients that just don't value the high quality product that we professional photographers are able to provide in this new photo democracy in which we live. I do remain hopeful that i will have more teaching opportunities in the future as i really enjoy that world and teaching the craft. It was a real pleasure to have a seriously engaged student like yourself in my classroom. Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete