Thursday, May 30, 2013

Last Rites...

©David Sorcher 2012

I just don't see an any chance to make a new image today so i figure this is a good opportunity to promote some of my more personal work. I believe it is really important for photographers to continue to produce personal work, even if it is only for themselves and a certain sense of soul satisfaction. I show parts of this project to my students from time to time and i'm always amused by their reactions. Our personal work isn't always so easily accessible to the general populous. But what is really funny is that some of them have started looking for and shooting this kind of subject matter. Then i see a post somewhere...Hey David, look at this, i shot this one for you! :-)
As i stated in an earlier post, i've been working on this concept for about 35 years now. My early approach (mostly in B&W) was more documentary, but i now sometimes make arrangements like this one in an attempt to ritualize the subject matter and create some kind of statement on the cycle of life, death, resurrection and rebirth. This one is certainly one of my favorites so far. 
I feel that i am getting very close to wanting to mount a show of this project so if anyone knows of a good venue for this kind of work please let me know.  

3 comments:

  1. David your last post explaining why you take photographs of dead animals totally change how I look at your personal project. I mistakenly just thought it was a macab side of you which did not bother me at all. Then to learn the real reason touched me deeply. I will keep my eyes and ears open for a venue and you can bet I will be there. I'll even help you set up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda. Death is a tough subject for many people, especially in this society, and rituals surrounding death from other cultures are often misunderstood and seen as macabre until you understand the essence of those practices. Here in Western society, where youth is king, death is something of a feared and taboo subject. People just don't want to talk about it. I have chosen to look closely where most other turn away. I find beauty in the empty vehicles left behind at the passing of life and i am fascinated by the structure there, the bone, fur or feathers that remain as record of where lief once dwelled. My work here deals with concepts of the turn of the wheel, change and transmutation and making a visual notation (and therefore an honoring) of the dead. I don't intend this work to be particularly grisly, though i suppose sometimes that can't be helped. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete