Monday, June 10, 2013

Dummy Up

©David Sorcher 2013

I made a visit to Vent Haven over the weekend, the worlds only ventriloquy museum, and it's right in my own back yard in Ft. Wright Kentucky. The museum houses over 700 figures, with examples going back as far as 1820. Started by William Shakespeare Berger, who bought his first dummy back in 1910, the collection has just kept growing over the years and has become a mecca for anyone with any interest in the art.

©David Sorcher 2013


©David Sorcher 2013

©David Sorcher 2013

©David Sorcher 2013

I know these guys freak some folks out, with memories of old Twilight Zone episodes or horror films, but i just love this stuff. I was struck by the absolute human quality of some of these guys, mostly to be found in the intensity of their eyes. If you live anywhere nearby call and make arrangements for a tour. They had to drag me out of the place. :-)   


No comments:

Post a Comment